This is a tasty version to traditional lasagna. Have fun with this. Once the prep is done, the assembly is relatively quick.
How to Make Step-By-Step (pick and choose options)
- Marinara Sauce – can be made in advance as this is freezer friendly
- Lasagna Cheese – make before assembling as it will be poured on and thickens when baked
- Cauliflower Crumbles – need about 2 cups – can be made in advance as this is freezer friendly
- Steamed Spinach – about 450 g/16 oz fresh or use frozen, thaw, and drain well
- Sautéed Mushrooms – can be made in advance
- Tofu Ricotta – this can be made in advance
- Vegan Parmesan – this can be made in advance
- Decide on lasagna noodle or if desired sliced potatoes can be a tasty option
When I use noodles, I use oven ready noodles like Barilla, Divella, and Optima. If you live in my community these are available at Mercato Foods, The Italian Center, or Lucky’s. If using, follow the package instructions.
Yes, Potatoes Can be a Tasty Option Instead of Noodles
Noodle type lasagnas take about 40-50 minutes. If you choose to use potato slices it will take about twice as long to bake. Time will vary depending how thick the potato slices are, as well as whether the ingredients are cold from the fridge vs room temperature. Either way, during baking, the pan will need to be covered and uncovered during the last 10-15 minutes.
Tips to prepare potatoes
Peel and cover with water until ready to slice. I use Yukon Gold, thin sliced on a mandolin.
Instructions and Tips to Cook
How to Layer and Baking
- Bake at 350°F.
- Set aside a lasagna pan and plan for three layers.
- Spread an ample amount of marinara sauce on the bottom of the pan followed with a generous drizzle of cheese sauce. Gently press a layer of noodles or raw potato slices into the sauce. If using follow with cauliflower crumbles, spinach, mushrooms, and ricotta. Gently press the second layer of noodles on the toppings and repeat the layering process making sure to have enough of both marinara and cheese sauce for the top layer.
- To prevent drying while baking, the lasagna needs to be covered. To prevent the foil from touching the lasagna, first cover with parchment paper then a layer of foil.
- For noodle based lasagna bake in a preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until lasagna is done. If some of the ingredients are from the fridge and cold, be prepared to add an additional 10-15 minutes. Remove cover during the last 10-15 minutes. Allow lasagna to set for 15 minutes before serving. For a potato based lasagna allow about 1½ hours to bake or until potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with Parmesan.