Yield: scant ½ cup dressing
As a guideline, we find this amount of dressing to be plenty for 2 heads of romaine hearts, washed, spun dry and torn into pieces.
- 1 large clove garlic, use garlic press or mince very fine
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2-3 Tbsp tahini
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice (preferably fresh squeezed)
- 2 Tbsp regular white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 8-12 capers
- 6-7 drops Tabasco
- Dulse Flakes, about 1 tsp (find information on dulse flakes here)
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese, about 2 Tbsp (view recipe to make your own)
- Croutons (view oil free recipe to make your own)
- For quick blending put all the ingredients in a personal blender, except for the dulse and Parmesan cheese. Give a quick pulse to blend.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with enough dressing to coat the leaves, adding more dressing as desired. (Left over dressing keeps well for 4-5 days. Leftover dressing is also freezer friendly.)
- Add the dulse flakes, Parmesan cheese and croutons. Toss again to distribute.
- Instead of tahini use one small avocado. Note the dressing will turn green, but it makes a tasty creamy dressing.
- If desired, make your own lemon juice. Squeeze fresh lemons and measure out one tablespoon measurements and freeze in ice cube trays. After frozen, transfer to a bag, and label.
- Dulse flakes are a seaweed which will add a salty ocean flavor to your salad. If desired you could substitute with Nori powder. Make your own by putting a sheet of nori in a blender and pulse to blend into a coarse powder. For other plant-based fishy seafood flavors check out these two recipes. Chickpea Tuna Salad and this Seafood Chowder