Take your salad to the next level with homemade croutons!
- 7 – 8 cups/1 loaf, cubed day old bread, with crust trimmed* off
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp oregano
- ¾ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried thyme powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1-2 turns fresh ground black pepper or generous sprinkle
- Spray bottle water
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Measure spices, blend together and set aside.
- Trim crust off bread and cut into cubes. Put bread cubes into a large bowl.
- In two or three stages, mist the bread cubes with water. Add a sprinkle of the spices. Toss well. Mist again, sprinkle with spices and toss. Continue with misting and sprinkling of the spices until all the spices have been used up.
- The frequent misting and tossing has the spices stick onto the bread cubes, rather than sticking to the inside of the bowl.
- In a single layer, without overcrowding, spread the seasoned bread cubes onto a large cookie sheet. Bake for 5 minutes and check. Baking time will vary depending on the thickness of the cubes, so be careful not to burn. If almost dry, turn off oven and leave the croutons in the oven and they will continue drying.
- When croutons are cooled, and completely dry, they will keep well in a tightly covered container.
- Left over crust can be made into bread crumbs.