These have been my favorite go to nuggets when looking for a quick sweet treat. They are easy to make and the flavor can be changed by using different nut butters. You also have the choice of adding all of the optional ingredients, adding just some of them or leave them out. Play around with this recipe and have fun with it.
Yield: about 90 bite size nuggets
- 2 cups original all-bran cereal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup buckwheat
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder or use carob powder
- ½ cup raisins, optional (60 g/2 oz)
- ½ cup chocolate chips, optional
- ¼ cup shredded coconut, optional (22 g/.75 oz)
- ½ cup maple syrup (I use Roger’s Golden syrup)
- ½ cup unsweetened peanut butter (or homemade almond butter)
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Measure and combine the all-bran, rolled oats, buckwheat and cocoa powder and set aside.
- Measure the raisins, chocolate chips and/or coconut and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, add syrup, peanut butter and molasses. Over medium heat, stirring often, until nut butter melts and the mixture starts to bubble. Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Add the all-bran, with the rolled oats, buckwheat and cocoa. Carefully and quickly stir until the dry ingredient are evenly coated.
- If using, add raisins, chocolate chips and/or coconut. Note, because the mixture is hot the chocolate chips will melt.
- To form nuggets use a small cookie dough scooper, scoop then press mixture firmly into the scooper, then release the nugget. If the mixture sticks to the inside of the scooper, dip scooper into a bowl of water before scooping into the mixture. This will help to release the nuggets.
- Keep in a sealed container in fridge or freezer.