Yield: about 60 truffles/nuggets
- 1 regular size can unsalted chickpeas, well drained
- 1 ½ cups oat bran (170 g/6 oz)
- ½ cup peanut butter (or homemade almond butter)
- ½ cup maple syrup OR about 10 Medjools dates, pitted
- ½ cup cocoa powder OR carob powder (about carob and where to purchase)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ – ¾ cup chocolate chips, optional (about 85 g/3 oz)
- 1 ½ cups chopped dry toasted pecans, optional (200 g/7 oz)
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut, optional (200 g/7 oz)
- Crushed candy canes
- Add to a food processor, chickpeas, nut butter, syrup, and vanilla. Process until well combined and creamy. If necessary, stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add oat bran and cocoa powder. Process until all the dry ingredients are well incorporated, then if using add the chocolate chips. The dough is going to get very thick.
- Use a tablespoon or a small cookie dough scooper, scoop a spoonful of dough and use your hands to roll into a ball.
- Leave nuggets plain or if desired, roll into crushed nuts or shredded coconut. Freeze on a baking sheet. After frozen transfer nuggets to an airtight container and keep stored in the freezer. These can be enjoyed frozen.
Notes – have fun with this
- Chickpeas: ¾ cup dried chickpeas cooks up to about 10 oz cooked. This is about the same as a can of chickpeas after they are drained.
- Oat bran: If you prefer you can use quick cooking rolled oats.
- Nut butter: Have fun with this. Change the flavor by using different nut butters. Try peanut butter, almond, or a nut and seed butter. Tahini is also very nice.
- Maple syrup substitute: If you prefer a natural sweetener use dates. Use about 10-12 Medjool dates or about 20-25 Deglet Noor. This is about (250 g/8 to 9 oz) of dates. Make sure to remove the pits.
- Toasted Pecans: AirFryer 3-5 minutes. Oven 350°F 5 – 10 minutes. Stir or shake pan occasionally. Be careful to not burn. Allow to cool before using. Use the time as a guideline as time will vary depending on how much you are toasting as well as the method you will be using.
- Flavors and Textures: Experiment with peanuts, pecans, hazelnuts and coconut. Substitute vanilla with 1 tsp of chocolate, maple, hazelnut or peppermint extract. Bulk Barn has several flavors or find a Watkins dealer.