Yield: about 20 burgers (about 90 g/3 oz each)
- 1 large onion/1½ cups, chopped small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pkg (7oz/200g) mushrooms, chopped small
- 3½ cups tomato juice (can use water and juice to measure 3½ cups)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 Tbsp Beef Flavor or Chicken Flavor seasoning
- 2 Tbsp no salt seasoning (like Mrs Dash or Costco)
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp regular molasses
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1½ cups coarse cut bulgur
- 1½ cups gluten flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup/2 oz walnuts, chopped small
Optional to add dehydrated vegetable powder
Adding dehydrated vegetable powder will give you burger extra flavor along with a boost of hidden nutrients.
- 1 Tbsp dehydrated roasted red peppers
- 2 tsp mushroom powder (omit if using Beef Flavored seasoning)
- 1 tsp greens (kale, collards, swiss chard)
- 1 tsp celery or fennel
- 1 tsp carrots
- 1 tsp beets
- 1 tsp squash
- In a large pan sauté the onions then add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Blend tomato juice/water with sunflower seeds. Pour mixture into pan.
- Add seasonings, (including any dehydrated vegetable powders) and bulgur. Stir mixture well to combine. Cover and while stirring occasionally, simmer mixture for 20-30 minutes or until bulgur is tender.
- Allow this mixture to cool completely before moving on to step five.
- Mix together the gluten flour, rolled oats, and walnuts then add it to the bulgur mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Shape into patties. (about ½ cup mixture or make into 90 g/3 oz patties)
Cooking and Freezing
To prevent indigestion, patties made with gluten flour must be thoroughly cooked before eating.
- Oven method. Lay patties on a non-stick cookie sheet. Seal tight with foil so these do not dry out. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Freezing. To prevent patties from sticking together, cut parchment paper into squares and put two layers in between each patty. Place patties into an air tight container and freeze.