Old fashioned comfort food! These dumplings are made without eggs and are fat free.
Yield: about 8 dumplings
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp Chicken Flavored Seasoning
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ salt
- cold water, enough to make a very stiff batter
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp Chicken Flavored Seasoning
- Make broth and bring it to a boil*.
- Add to mixing bowl the dry ingredients. Add only enough water so as to get a firm scoopable dough.
- Scoop and drop spoonfuls of dough into boiling broth. Allow plenty of space in between the dumplings as they will expand. Cover pan, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. No peeking, do not raise the lid while they are cooking.
- Be sure the broth is boiling when dropping in the dumplings. Lowering the heat is important so the dumplings cook slowly and no peeking otherwise the dumplings will collapse and be heavy.