This is more than a condiment. It makes a flavorful marinade.
Yield: about 3 cups
- 3/4 cup onions, chopped
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup packed pitted prunes, (about 12)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp tamarind paste
- 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 Tbsp allspice
- 1 level tsp Sambal Oelek
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or (about 15 turns of fresh ground pepper)
- Add all the ingredients to a pot. Bring to boil and simmer for 60 – 90 minutes.
- When done, add mixture to a blender and blend into a sauce.
- Enjoy as a condiment. Add to veggie burgers or veggie loaves.
- This sauce is also freezer friendly. Freeze in portion cups.
How to use
- Use as a marinade. My favorite way to enjoy portobello mushrooms.
- It’s also my secret ingredient in this spaghetti sauce.