A dear friend shared this recipe with me a few decades ago. When she told me about the ingredients, it’s not a recipe I would have made. But after listening to her rave reviews, I was ready to give it a try. This has turned out to be a family favorite.
Yield: about 6 cups
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 3-4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 tin tomato paste (156 ml)
- 1/4 cup HP Sauce (view instructions on how to make your own)
- 2 Tbsp regular molasses
- To a large pan add the onions and sauté until onions begin to caramelize.
- Add the celery and garlic. Reduce heat, cover the pan and cook until the celery softens.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to boil, cover, turn down the heat and simmer for about an hour.
- Enjoy with your favorite spaghetti noodles.
- This sauce is freezer friendly.