Yield: 18 squares
- ½ cup syrup*
- ½ cup peanut butter (or homemade almond butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 cups puffed rice cereal
- Set aside an 8×8″ non-stick pan*.
- Add puffed rice and coconut to a bowl and set it aside.
- Add syrup and peanut butter to a large saucepan. Over medium low, heat mixture until peanut butter is soft and easy to mix with the syrup.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- Add the coconut and puffed rice and mix well to combine. The mixture will be very thick.
- Press mixture firmly into pan. To prevent mixture from sticking to fingers, use lightly moisten fingers or lay a piece of parchment paper over the mixture then press on it.
- Allow to sit for 15-20 minutes to get firm then cut into squares. Keep covered in fridge or freezer.
- For different flavors consider different types of syrup like maple, rice, date, carob or Rogers Golden syrup. Rice, date and carob syrups can be found in Asian and Mediterranean type of grocery stores.
- Using a non-stick brownie pan like this kind works really well as the insert cuts into perfect pieces.