This cake is amazing! No eggs, butter or milk. This recipe is from Plant-Strong Discover the World’s Healthiest Diet authored by Rip Esselstyn.
Yield: one 9×13 Adonis Cake or 12 cupcakes
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350°F and set aside a nonstick baking pan. Use a 9×9″ for a single recipe or 9×13″ for a double recipe.
- Add the dry ingredients to a small mixing bowl, mix well then set aside.
- Add to a large mixing bowl and stir together the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into a cake pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes. Allow about 40 minutes for a 9×13 or until toothpick test comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack.
This frosting is amazing! It’s rich, creamy and not too sweet.
Yield: about 2 cups frosting, enough for one 9×13 Adonis Cake
- 1 package silken tofu (340 g/12 oz)
- ¾ cup, semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- Place the silken tofu in a food processor. Add the melted chocolate chips and vanilla and blend until chocolatey and creamy.
- Taste and if desired add a bit of maple syrup.
- Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
- This frosting works well however, should you want to get more creative with a thicker frosting than can be piped check out Every Day Creamy Frosting.