I was inspired by this recipe on The Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show by Jill Dalton. This bread is outstanding. It is a nice, moist, slightly sweet, gluten free bread. This is my adapted version.
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- ½ cup dry roasted sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp ground flax
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups unsweetened plant based milk (view instructions to make cashew milk)
- ½ cup pitted dates (85 g/3 oz)
- ½ Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a small mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Add to blender, plant-based milk, dates and molasses. Blend until smooth. Note, molasses has a tendency to settle on the bottom of the blender. Be sure it has dissolved in the blended mixture then pour the contents into a large mixing bowl. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Scoop/pour batter into a non-stick 8″ x 4″ pan, smooth out the top, and bake for 45 minutes. Do the toothpick test to ensure it’s done.