Chef AJ always inspires me. This is my adapted version. You can find her original recipe demonstrated on YouTube
Yield: About 8 cups
- 1¼ cup (226 g/8 oz) red lentils, rinse and set aside
- 1 large onion, chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 6 dates, pitted (85 g/1½ oz)
- 1 (796 ml/28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (156 ml/6 oz) can tomato paste
- 4 cups of water
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
Instructions for Instant Pot
- Instant Pot, dry sauté onions until beginning to caramelize, add garlic and sauté briefly taking car to not burn. Add chopped peppers, and lentils.
- In blender add dates, tomatoes and tomato paste and blend until smooth. Add blended mixture to the Instant Pot.
- Add water and give it a stir to mix. Cook on high for 10 minutes and let pressure drop naturally.
- Carefully remove lid and add all the remaining ingredients. Stir well to mix. Enjoy as is or serve with a baked potato or hearty bun.
Other Cooking Options
This recipe can easily be done a stove top. Follow the same steps, but instead of setting the pressure cooker, bring the mixture to boil, cover and allow to simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are soft.
Alternatively, place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for approximately 5 to 8 hours.