Yield: about 8 servings
- 1 can chickpeas* (540 ml/19 oz)
- 1 chopped sweet potato (about 2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp curry
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1-2 tsp grated ginger zest (or ¾ tsp dried ginger powder)
- 2 cups water*
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (about 2 cups)
- 1 tsp salt, optional
- ¾ tsp chili paste, optional (Sambal Oelek)
- ¼ cup peanut butter, optional
- In a large pot sauté onions until browned. (sauté without oil)
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute so as to brown garlic.
- Add the sweet potato, celery, and water. Bring mixture to boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the celery and sweet potato are tender.
- Add the spices, chickpeas, and tomatoes. Bring mixture back to a boil.
- Serve as is or over rice.
- About 2 cups cooked chickpeas.
- Can use cooking water from chickpeas.
- For a richer and very tasty variation, just before serving stir in about ¼ cup of peanut butter.