Yield: about 8 cups
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 cup of water
- 1 large can tomatoes, (796 ml/28 oz)
- ½ cup/2.5 oz raw cashews
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp salt, optional
- 2 cups additional water, add at the end to achieve desired consistency
- Add to medium sized pot the onion, celery, and carrot. Add one cup water. Cover, bring to boil, turn down heat and simmer until vegetables are tender. About 20 minutes. Or use instant pot. Manual setting, 3 minutes, quick release.
- To a blender carefully add the hot cooked onion, celery and carrot along with the cooking water, cashews, onion powder and salt. Blend until smooth.
- From the two cups of water add enough water to the blender to achieve your desired consistency.
- Pour blender contents back to pot and bring soup to boil before serving.
- This soup is freezer friendly. It will separate a bit, but when it is warmed up just give it a quick whisk.