Yield: 8 – 10 veggie dogs, about 70 g/2½ oz each
- 1 1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- ¾ paprika
- ¾ tsp dry mustard powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp mushroom powder, optional
- 1 tsp beet powder, optional
- 1/8 tsp chili chipotle or cayenne, optional
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup/2 oz raw cashews
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce or Bragg Liquid Amino’s
- 1 Tbsp liquid smoke
- ¾ tsp cornstarch
- If desired, there are pictures below the instructions.
- Prepare foil and parchment paper that each veggie dog will be wrapped into. Parchment paper is not a requirement however if you are concerned about aluminum touching your food you will need to lay a piece of parchment paper onto the aluminum foil as you wrap each veggie dog. To have the veggie dogs hold their shape, these will be wrapped like a tootsie roll. Cut parchment paper into pieces about 7”x4”. Cut the foil into pieces about 9”x6”.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl. Mix well to distribute.
- Add wet ingredients to blender. Blend into a creamy mixture. Add blender mixture to dry ingredients. As you mix the wet ingredients with the dry a dough will form.
- Divide dough to make 8-10 veggie dogs. On a clean dry counter roll each portion of dough into the shape of a veggie dog.
- Wrap each veggie dog as snug as possible in the prepared parchment paper/foil. Twist the ends of the foil similar to a tootsie roll.
- Add wrapped veggie dogs to a steamer pot. Be sure the veggie dogs don’t touch the water. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and steam for 40 minutes. Make sure the water is boiling before you start timing. Alternatively these can be cooked in an Instant Pot. Add steamer rack to instant pot then add 1½ cups water. Take care that the veggie dogs won’t be touching the water. Set to manual pressure for 40 minutes. Let pressure drop naturally.
- Keep in fridge for 4-5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.