- 1 can black beans (540 ml/19 oz), save the liquid (about 2 cups home cooked*)
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ green or red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp dark balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- Heat pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until they begin to caramelize, then add the peppers and cook until they are soft.
- Add the beans with about a ¼ cup of the liquid.
- Stir in the vinegar along with the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a slow boil, turn down heat and simmer for a few minutes to blend flavors and thicken up the bean sauce.
- Enjoy with tortillas, burritos, tostadas or taco bowl. Garnish with avocado, salsa, corn, shredded lettuce, etc.
- 1 cup dry beans will make about 2½ cups cooked.
- If you are looking for tortillas for these beans check out how to make your own corn tortillas. If you live in the Edmonton region check Amaranth Foods or other health type grocery stores for Ezekiel organic sprouted whole grain tortillas.