Yield: 6-8 servings
- 8 cups bread cubes, (from 2-3 day old bread)
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1-2 ribs celery, chopped fine
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Black pepper to taste
- Water to moisten*
- Prepare crockpot with steamer basket. For easy clean up, mist the steamer basket with a non-stick spray, then wipe off the excess. Add water to the crockpot, but be sure that it is below the steamer basket.
- In a large bowl add the bread cubes and sprinkle with poultry seasoning. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Sauté onions and celery until soft. Add to the seasoned bread cubes and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle or mist* with water while tossing and mixing the stuffing mixture. The amount of water to use will depend on the type of bread and how dry it is. Continue adding enough water until the stuffing mixture holds together when gently squeezed in your hand. Add enough water to moisten the stuffing together without making it mushy.
- Add stuffing to the steamer basket that has been placed in the crockpot. Cover and set crockpot on high for 2-3 hours. If the stuffing is done before your meal is ready turn down the cooker setting to keep warm. Ensure it doesn’t run out of water.
- A misting water bottle makes it convenient to moisten the stuffing.