Yes, you read this right. Prune purée can be used as an egg substitute. Baby food prunes can be used however it’s easy to make your own.
Water to Prune Ratio
- 1 ¼ cups pitted prunes, 230 g/8 oz prunes
- 1/3 cup hot water
- Add prunes and water to food processor. Process until free of chunks.
- Keep in refrigerator in an air tight container up to one month. Can be portioned for recipes and frozen.
Other Ways to Use Prune Purée/Tips
- Replace up to half of the butter or oil in recipe with an equal amount of prune purée.
- When substituting for eggs use ¼ cup prune purée for 1 large egg. This works best in recipes that have no more than 3 eggs.