Yield: about 3 cups
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 cups (140 g/5 oz) mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups water, divided
- 3 Tbsp regular white wheat flour*
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp sage
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp Kitchen Bouquet*, optional
- 2 Tbsp tahini*, optional
- In a medium pan, cook the onions and mushrooms until tender.
- Set aside about ¼ cup of the water to mix with the flour to make a slurry then add the remainder of the water, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, sage, thyme . Mix well and bring mixture to boil.
- Making a slurry with flour and water. Add enough water to the flour so the mixture is pourable. Mix well to remove all lumps.
- Add flour slurry to simmering mushroom. Stir constantly while mixture comes to boil and thickens.
- Kitchen Bouquet will add a rich brown color to the gravy.
- Tahini will add richness.
- For gluten free substitute with equal amount of rice flour OR corn starch. Mashed potatoes also work well. To prevent lumps, add water and potatoes to blender then pour into pan. As a guideline use 1/3 cup, about 3 ounces cooked mashed potatoes for every cup liquid/broth.