I have tried many versions of ‘healthy’ rice puddings. To my disappointment this is one time when brown rice doesn’t satisfy the creamy comfort texture I’m looking for. This is my compromise for rice pudding with a healthier twist. This recipe is in two parts.
Yield: about 8 cups
Rice Pudding Base
- 3½ cups water
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ¼ cup amaranth
- ½ cup raisins (70 g/2.5 oz)
- 1 large can pears in pear juice (796ml)
- ½ cup raw cashews* (70g/2.5oz)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
Instructions for Instant Pot*
- Add water, rice and amaranth to an Instant Pot. Set on manual pressure for 5 minutes. Let pressure drop naturally.
- Add to blender the pears with juice and the cashews. Blend until creamy smooth.
- After pressure has dropped, carefully remove lid from the Instant Pot. Stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins and the cashew pear cream.
- Return lid and leave sit for 15-20 minutes for the flavors to meld. The rice pudding will thicken as it cools.
- If you do not have a high-powered blender like a VitaMix soften cashews by soaking them overnight or use the quick method where you can soak cashews in boiling water for 20-30 minutes. Discard soaking water.
- No instant pot no problem. Add water, rice and amaranth to a pot and bring to boil. Cover with tight fitting lid and simmer for 20 minutes or until grains are soft. Remove pot from heat and continue with the instructions.