When I started eating whole food plant based, I couldn’t find recipes on the Internet. I was delighted to discover The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak and it became pivotal for me in eliminating dairy from my diet. I found Jo’s book very educational as it helped me build a strong foundation for whole food plant based cooking and taught me how to use unfamiliar ingredients. It also opened my eyes to animal cruelty and animal compassion. This recipe was adapted from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak. This recipe has been posted with the authors permission.
Yield: about 2 cups
- 1 can unsalted chickpeas (540 ml/19 oz; about 2 cups), reserve liquid*
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 Tbsp sesame tahini
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ Tbsp light miso
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dry mustard
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor or VitaMix and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Use as spreadable cheese, or as a dip similar to hummus.
- Keep in fridge and use within a week.
- If you find the mixture too thick add a bit of the reserved chickpea liquid.
- A nice variation is to add roasted red peppers.