This is one of my favorite recipes and it can be used in place of sour cream, mayonnaise, spreads or dips. This recipe has been adapted from Simply Heavenly by Abbot George Burke.
Yield: about 2 cups
- 1½ cups water
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder*
- 1 cup raw cashews (142 g/5 oz)
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1¼ tsp salt
- Place cashews, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder and salt in a high powered blender. Set aside.
- Mix the water and starch and cook until thickened. (see instructions on how to work with starch and make a slurry)
- Add this mixture to the blender and blend on high until creamy smooth. This mixture will thicken when cooled.
- Store in refrigerator and use within one week.
- You must use arrowroot powder if you want this to be freezer friendly.
- If you do not have a high powered blender your results may not be as creamy but will still taste delicious. For easier blending, soak the cashews for a minimum of 4 hours or as long as overnight.