I always wanted to try out sorghum flour. I was inspired by the ingredients listed in Susan Voisin’s Pumpkin Waffles posted on FatFreeVegan. They turned out perfect! My version has minor changes. We heat up left over waffles in our Air Fryer for 3-4 minutes and they are like fresh made.
Yield: 8 to 9 waffles
- ¾ cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp stevia leaf powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin
- 1½ cups unsweetened plant-based milk*
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Blend plant-based milk with pumpkin and vanilla then pour contents into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients and stir them into the wet.
- Allow batter to sit while heating up the waffle iron. I use a copper non-stick, Bella Belgium waffle iron. It takes between 8 to 10 minutes to cook.
Because I make my own cashew milk I make it as part of this recipe. That means instead of 1½ cups plant-based milk I add to my VitaMix:
- 1½ cups water with about 20 large cashews and blend on high for 1 minute. Then I add the pumpkin, vanilla and pulse briefly to blend. This becomes my wet mixture to add to the dry ingredients.
- Alternatively, use 20 large blanched almonds instead of cashews.
- Check this link to learn more about cashews and making cashew milk.